Quick-Mix Citrus Shortbread
Prep 10minBake 20minMakes about 30
This shortbread is simple and super quick to make - only 10 minutes preparation! Even though you need to chill the dough before slicing into the biscuit shapes it is perfect to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge or freezer for when you need it.
Ingredients150g butter, diced, at room temperature
110g (½ cup) caster sugar
150g (1 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
30g (⅓ cup) cornflour
70g (⅔ cup) almond meal
1 orange or lemon, zest finely grated
50g candied orange peel strips (optional), finely chopped, to sprinkle
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor except the candied orange peel and process for 1 minute or until the mixture starts to form a dough – be careful not to over-mix.
- Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured bench top, bring together with your hands and then knead briefly until smooth. Divide into two equal portions and roll each into thick sausages about 4cm in diameter and 15cm long. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until ready to bake.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two large oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Unwrap the biscuit dough, slice into 1cm-thick rounds and place on the baking trays about 2cm apart to allow for spreading. Sprinkle each biscuit with a little of the chopped candied orange peel if using.
- Bake for 20 minutes, swapping the trays half way through baking, or until pale golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool on the trays.
- If you don’t have a food processor, leave the butter at room temperature for about 30 minutes for it to soften slightly and then just use your fingertips to rub the butter through the dry ingredients and then your hands to bring it together into a dough.
- Keep in an airtight container or jar for up to 1 week.
- The uncooked dough, rolled into logs and wrapped well in plastic wrap, can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 week. It can also be kept in the freezer, sealed in freezer bags or an airtight container, for up to 1 month. Thaw the rolls in the fridge before slicing and baking.