Prep 30min (+1hr cooling and 1hr chilling)Bake 15minMakes 8 serves
Crisp pretzels and a salted caramel filling take this classic English dessert to new heights. Serve these banoffee tarts either chilled or at room temperature but never forget the vanilla cream and bitter chocolate shavings.
- melted butter, to grease
- 4 ripe medium bananas (about 200g each)
- good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa), shaved, to decorate
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 50g pretzels (see Baker's Tips)
- 150g butter, melted
- 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 110g (½ cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 40g butter, cubed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 200ml thickened cream
- 100ml sour cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Brush eight round 8cm (base measurement) x 10cm (top measurement) individual fluted tart tins with removable bases and place on an oven tray.
- To make the crumb base, process the biscuits and pretzels in a food processor until finely ground. Add the butter and process until well combined. Divide the crumb mixture among the tart tins and use your fingertips to press the crumb mixture evenly over the base and up the sides of each.
- To make the caramel filling, combine the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, golden syrup and butter in a small saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 2-3 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves (do not boil). Stir in the salt.
- Pour the hot caramel immediately over the tart bases. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove the tarts from the oven and set aside for 30 minutes or until cooled slightly. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- To make the vanilla cream, use a balloon whisk to whisk together the cream, sour cream and vanilla bean paste. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, remove the tarts from their tins and place on serving plates. Peel and slice the bananas and arrange over the caramel filling. Top with a dollop of vanilla cream and decorate with the shaved chocolate.
Choose the crisp, small pretzel crackers sold in packets for this recipe.
These tarts will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
This recipe is from Anneka's SBS Food online column, Bakeproof: Caramel.
CLICK HERE for more Bakeproof recipes.
Photography by Alan Benson.