Prep 40min (+1-2hr cooling time)Bake 1hrMakes about 50
2 egg whites
110g (½ cup) caster sugar
1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence or extract
2 teaspoons gluten-free cornflour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 110°C. Line an oven tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the egg whites and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl (preferably metal) and place over a saucepan of simmering water, ensuring the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir with a spatula or small whisk until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is hot to touch (about 55-60°C on a sugar thermometer). Be careful not to allow the egg whites to cook.
- Transfer the egg white mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer (see Baker’s Tips). Whisk the egg white mixture with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed until very thick and glossy and the mixture has cooled to room temperature. Whisk in the vanilla and cornflour.
- Fill a large piping bag fitted with a 4B (or #11/1.1cm round) piping nozzle with the meringue mixture. Holding the piping nozzle about 1cm above the tray, pipe small rosettes (or 'kisses') about 2.5cm in diameter and 2cm apart on the lined tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour or until the meringues are crisp, hard to touch and peel away from the tray easily, but are not coloured.
- Turn off the oven, leave the door slightly ajar and leave meringues to cool completely in the oven for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Striped Meringue Kisses: Use a paintbrush to lightly brush evenly spaced vertical lines of food colouring gel on the inside of the large piping bag before spooning the meringue mixture into the piping bag. continue as per the recipe.
- Allowing the egg white mixture to come to room temperature before whisking will reduce the time it will take to whisk it to a meringue.
- Use the convection setting on your oven to bake the meringues as fan-forced is often too intense and will cause meringues to crack. However, if the meringues do crack when using the convention setting, next time reduce the temperature by 5-10°C as this will often help prevent them from cracking.
- These meringues will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.