Gluten-free Coconut & Raspberry Brownies
Prep 15minBake 35minMakes about 15
Wickedly rich, this gluten-free brownie can match it with the best of them. Fudgy, rich and studded with tart raspberries, you won't be able to stop at just one piece!
IngredientsCoconut oil, to grease
150g gluten-free, good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
100g (½ cup) coconut oil
135g (¾ cup) coconut sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature, light whisked
60ml (¼ cup) coconut milk
1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence or extract
30g (¼ cup) cocoa powder
2 tablespoons coconut flour
¾ teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
50g (½ cup) almond meal
150g frozen raspberries
Pure icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a 16cm x 26cm shallow slice tin with coconut oil and line the base and long sides with one piece of baking paper.
- Place the dark chocolate and coconut oil in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let the base of the bowl touch the water). Stir occasionally until chocolate and coconut oil melt and the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from the saucepan.
- Add the sugar, eggs, coconut milk and vanilla to chocolate mixture and use a balloon whisk to stir until well combined. Sift together the cocoa powder, coconut flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the almond meal and stir to combine. Add to chocolate mixture and stir with a spatula until just combined. Add the frozen raspberries and fold gently until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and use the back of a metal spoon to spread evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until moist crumbs cling to a skewer inserted in the centre. Cool in tin and then chill for at least 1 hour (see Baker's Tips).
- Remove brownie from the tin using the baking paper to carefully lift it out. Cut into portions and serve dusted with icing sugar, if desired.
- These brownies are a little more fragile than normal fudge brownies and will be easier to cut if you chill them for at least an hour before removing from the tin to cut.
- These brownies will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Serve straight from the fridge or stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe was originally published in Anneka's SBS Food online column, Bakeproof: Coconut.
Click here for more Bakeproof recipes.
Photography by Alan Benson.