Prep 30min (+2hr chilling and decorating time)Bake 20-25minMakes about 25 cookies
Use this recipe as the base for cookies decorated with either royal icing (like these gorgeous Iced Heart Cookies) or fondant. The sweetness of the icing complements the spicy gingerbread base perfectly and lays down a canvas for you to create something extra special for customers, friends and family.
125g salted butter, softened
90g (½ cup, lightly packed) brown sugar
235g (160ml/⅔ cup) golden syrup
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract or essence
375g (2½ cups) plain flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Use an electric mixer with a paddle beater attachment to beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and vanilla and beat to combine evenly. Sift together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. Add to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until just combined evenly and a soft dough forms. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions. Shape each portion into a disc about 2cm thick, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm enough to roll easily.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line two large oven trays with baking paper.
- Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out one portion of the dough (leave the remaining portion in the fridge) on a lightly floured benchtop to 6mm thick. Use cutter/s of your choice, approximately 7.5cm across at the widest part, to cut out shapes and then use a palette knife to carefully transfer the shapes to the prepared oven trays, leaving a little room between each for
spreading. Reroll any dough scraps to make more shapes. Discard any offcuts from the second rolling. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread dough portion.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, swapping the trays halfway through baking, or until the cookies are just starting to colour and are cooked through. Stand the cookies on the trays for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
- Undecorated biscuits will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.