BakeSchool: Sourdough Online Course
- Online Courses -
BakeSchool: Sourdough will run again in 2021.
If you are interested in taking part, please fill out your details below and you'll be one of the first to know when new dates are released.
I have always been interested in sourdough but never given it a go myself. I didn't know what to expect from this course but I got so much more out of it than I could have expected. I loved every bit of it! This is an amazing course with an amazing teacher who has so much knowledge and is willing to go above and beyond to help her students achieve results.
Alison Roberts, Sydney
Discover everything you need to know about making your own sourdough – right from your very own kitchen!
BakeSchool: Sourdough is an intensive 4-week online course where you will learn everything there is to know about making and baking your own artisan sourdough bread – all from your very own kitchen.
Made up of a combination of virtual live demonstrations (which will be recorded so you can watch them again or in your own time) and printable recipe and information sheets that you can study at your own pace, this online course will take you through the entire process from making and maintaining your own sourdough starter through to proving, kneading, shaping, baking and even storing your bread.
Anneka Manning will guide you every step of the way, sharing her more than 30 years of baking experience, knowledge and research, as well as all of her practical and handy tips and tricks. Throughout the course, you will have access to a closed Facebook group where you will be able to ask Anneka any questions that arise and be able to troubleshoot your sourdough baking as you move through the process.
At the end of this course, you will walk away with all the knowledge, skill and confidence you need to be able to bake your own delicious sourdough bread at home.
If you are interested in joining a future group, please fill out your details at the top of this page and you'll be one of the first to know when new dates are released.
We will only be accepting a maximum of 40 bakers for each course so that Anneka can answer your baking questions during the live sessions and provide personal feedback via the Facebook page throughout the course.
How will the course work?
This course is made up of 3 key components:
1. Live demonstrations:
The live component of this course will take place over four virtual sessions where Anneka will take you through the entire sourdough process including:
- How to make your own sourdough starter
- How to make a levain
- Making, stretching, folding, proving and shaping your dough
- Baking your bread
These will take place at Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC+10 but they will all be recorded so you can look back at them as many times as you like or watch them in your own time if you happen to miss a live session.
2. Recipes and resources:
The live sessions will supported by printable recipes and resources which will take you through the process step by step so you can study and work through them at your own pace.
3. Closed Facebook Group
An integral part of the course will be the closed Facebook group. Not only will this be where your live demonstrations will take place (and videos of these sessions can be viewed), it will also be the place where you can ask Anneka any questions that come up as well as troubleshoot any issues that arise. It is also a place where you can share your experience with other like-minded bakers doing the course along with you. This group will remain open for questions and feedback until the last day of the course but you will be able to refer back to the content for up to 6 months after the course finishes.
I loved the course – a must do! All the instructions and teaching methods are very clear. I highly recommend this course to anyone interested.
Lydia Crewe, Melbourne
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is, quite simply, suitable for everyone, but it is aimed at intermediate to experienced bakers. As this course is completed online, it is suitable for students from all over the world.
Please note: the live component of this class will take place in Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC+10).
So, is BakeSchool: Sourdough for me?
- Would you like to master the technique of making your own sourdough from scratch?
- Do you have more time on your hands at the moment and keen to learn a new skill?
- Would you love to join Anneka live (virtually) in her own kitchen and receive direct feedback and advice from her?
- Are you interested in meeting other like-minded people and sharing your love of baking?
If any of these sound like you, then this course is the one for you!
Love the idea of learning online?
Find out more about our other online courses by clicking here.
What will I get?
- Four virtual live baking demonstrations (which will be recorded) where you will learn and bake along with Anneka Manning through the complete process of making your own sourdough
- Access to a closed Facebook group where you will be able to ask Anneka any questions that come up during the course, as well as personal and timely baking advice, guidance and inspiration
- A 30-minute live Q&A video session with Anneka to be held on the closed Facebook group during the last week of the course
- A chance to learn about making your own sourdough surrounded (virtually) by like-minded people
- Invaluable printable information sheets and recipes
- A thorough understanding of the sourdough process and how to apply what you’ve learnt to be able to troubleshoot in the future and ensure baking success
- Baking confidence, knowledge and skill to use regularly at home
What will I learn?
- What a sourdough starter is
- How to make your own sourdough starter
- How to feed, maintain, store and get the most from your sourdough starter
- What a levain or pre-frement is
- Key ingredients and equipment needed to make great sourdough bread
- What is the most ideal way to knead and prove your sourdough
- Using proving baskets and how to shape your sourdough without them
- The secret to a crunchy crust and chewy texture (like the artisan ones you buy!)
How will I get the most out of this course?
To get the most out of this course, you need to set aside the time to attend the live sessions with Anneka, read the support material supplied and practise your sourdough baking over the duration of the course. The live sessions will be recorded so they will be available to watch at any time if you are unable to attend. However, we do recommend baking along and catching up, if necessary, so that you are able to ask Anneka any questions as and when they arise throughout the process.
We do understand that life sometimes gets in the way so the content and live session video recordings will be available for 6 months after the completion of the course. However, access to Anneka via the Facebook group will only be available to students during the duration of the course.
Do I have to use Facebook to take part in the course?
Yes, in order to take part in BakeSchool: Sourdough you will have to be a Facebook user, or at least have access to a Facebook account, to view the live sessions (or recordings of them) and be able to ask questions and receive feedback and advice from Anneka about your sourdough baking.
If you are wanting to learn about making sourdough in a relaxed, informative learning space this is the course for you. Now I feel much more confident baking sourdough. I loved it!
Lisa Westcott, Cairns