- Online Courses -
Sourdough is now open for enrolment.
From start to finish this course is all you need to know about sourdough bread making and you can do it in your own time! I particularly like the way you explain the science behind cooking as it helps me understand each step of the process better and where I might need to make adjustments...All of it was wonderful!
Maria Hickey, Victoria
Discover everything you need to know about making your own sourdough – in your own time!
Sourdough is an in-depth online course where you will learn everything there is to know about making and baking your own artisan sourdough bread – in your own time, at your own pace – all from your own home kitchen!
Made up of a combination of demonstration videos, printable recipes and invaluable information sheets that you can study at your own pace, this online course will take you through the entire process from making and maintaining your own sourdough starter through to proving, kneading, shaping, baking and even storing your bread.
Guided by Anneka Manning, she will share her more than 30 years of baking experience, knowledge and research, as well as all of her practical and handy tips and tricks.
At the end of this course, you will walk away with all the knowledge, skill and confidence you need to be able to bake your own delicious sourdough bread at home.
How to enrol
Sourdough is now open for enrolment.
I really enjoyed the journey of making sourdough from the starter, to the different feedings and the proving process. It has given me a different appreciation of this delicious bread! Anneka has a wealth of baking knowledge. As always, so professional and fun! I got all I expected from this course.
Corina Benjamin, Sydney
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is, quite simply, suitable for everyone, but it is aimed at intermediate to experienced bakers. As this course is completed online, it is suitable for students from all over the world.
Can I use my own sourdough starter if I already have one?
You are more than welcome to use your own starter if you already have one but we do recommend that you use a sourdough starter that is 100% hydration. A 100% hydration starter is made from, and fed with, equal quantities (by weight) of both flour and water, or 1 part flour and 1 part water (for example, 125g of starter is fed with 125g water and 125g flour).
How does a self-guided course work?
So, is Sourdough for me?
- Would you like to master the technique of making your own sourdough bread from scratch?
- Would you love to be able to bake artisan-style bread at home?
- Would you like to be guided and inspired by Anneka's 30+ years of baking experience in your own kitchen?
- Do you have more time on your hands at the moment and keen to learn a new skill?
If any of these sound like you, then this course is the one for you!
I would recommend this course as an excellent introduction to baking sourdough bread with experience that could not be gleaned from just reading a recipe.
Sheila Zanyk, Canada
What will I get?
- Four downloadable modules which will take you through the complete process of making your own sourdough
- Invaluable printable information sheets and recipes
- A thorough understanding of the sourdough process and how to apply what you’ve learnt to be able to troubleshoot in the future and ensure baking success
- Membership to BakeClub's exclusive The Kitchen Table online group
- Baking confidence, knowledge and skill to use regularly at home
What will I learn?
- What a sourdough starter is
- How to make your own sourdough starter
- How to feed, maintain, store and get the most from your sourdough starter
- What a levain or pre-frement is
- Key ingredients and equipment needed to make great sourdough bread
- What is the most ideal way to knead and prove your sourdough
- Using proving baskets and how to shape your sourdough without them
- The secret to a crunchy crust and chewy texture (like the artisan ones you buy!)