Pistachio & Lemon Curd Cake
Prep 25min (+ lemon curd making time)Bake 50minMakes 10-12 serves
This wonderful cake was created by one of our Make Me a Baker graduates, Lisa Frost, for her graduation ceremony. "The foundations for my baking business all began with this cake and encompass all I now do through The Naked Lion Co – create wholesome baked goods using the finest local produce. A layer of my vegan lemon curd is baked into the cake giving it a fabulously tangy, moist centre."
1 quantity Vegan Lemon Curd, chilled
Double / thick cream, to serve
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios, to serve
Cooking oil spray, to grease
160g (1¼ cups) finely chopped pistachios kernels
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g (¾ cup) organic coconut sugar
1½ tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
50g (¼ cup) apple puree
3 eggs, at room temperature
100g (⅔ cup) plain cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a 22cm round springform tin then line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper. Spray the side lining paper with oil, avoiding the base of the pan. Place ¼ cup of the pistachios in the pan and rotate pan on its side to coat the side with nuts.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind until pale and creamy, scraping down the side of the bowl when necessary. Mix in the apple puree on low speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until well combined.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add ⅔ cup of the remaining pistachios and stir to combine. Use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Spoon the cake mixture into tin, spreading evenly. Drop the tin on the bench to settle the mixture. Spread 1 cup of the chilled curd over batter, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining pistachios. Cover the surface of the remaining curd with plastic wrap and return to the fridge.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cover the surface of the cake lightly with a round of baking paper to prevent the nuts from burning and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean (the top of the cake will still be slightly wobbly).
- Allow the cake to stand in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing the side. Serve warm or at room temperature with the cream, remaining lemon curd and pistachios.