Olive Oil Wafers
Prep 30min (+20min resting time)Bake 16-18minMakes about 8
Just like the ones you buy, these thin, crisp wafers are the perfect addition to any cheese board. Serve them alongside a soft washed-rind cheese, soft feta, nutty cheddar or any number of dips, such as beetroot or baba ghanoush.
- 225g (1½ cups) plain bread or pizza flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, crushed plus extra to sprinkle
- 125ml (½ cup) water
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil, plus extra to roll
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 2 large oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Combine the water and olive oil, add to the flour mixture and use a wooden spoon and then your hands to mix to a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute or until smooth, elastic and bounces back when you press your finger into it. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll each in a little extra olive oil to coat lightly. Use your hands to flatten a portion into a rough rectangle and then use a rolling pin to roll out thinly and evenly into a large rectangle about 2mm thick (see Baker’s tip). Place on the lined trays. Repeat with three of the remaining dough portions. Brush the wafers with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with extra salt and sesame seeds.
- Bake the four wafers in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes, swapping the trays around halfway through baking, or until golden and crisp. Cool on the trays. Repeat with the remaining four dough portions to make eight large wafers in total. Break into smaller pieces to serve.
- The more evenly you can roll the dough, the more evenly it will bake.
- These wafers will keep in an airtight container or jar at room temperature for up to 1 week
This recipe is from Anneka's SBS Food online column, Bakeproof: Savoury Crackers.
CLICK HERE for more Bakeproof recipes.