Apple Bread with Whipped Honey Butter
Prep 30minBake 1hr 30minMakes 12 slices
Flavoursome, fruity and deeply satisfying this apple loaf is the essence of Autumn. Perfectly teamed with the whipped honey butter, but fresh ricotta and honey also makes a wonderful topping.
150g (5½oz/1 cup) plain flour
150g (5½oz/1 cup) plain wholemeal flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
220g (7¾oz/1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
100g (3½oz/1 cup) pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
4 medium (about 160g/5⅔oz each) Granny Smith, golden delicious, gala or pink lady apples
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly whisked
125ml (4fl oz/½ cup) sunflower or light olive oil, plus extra to grease
2 teaspoons natural vanilla essence or extract
Whipped Honey Butter
125g (4½oz) salted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons floral honey
1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence or extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C/315°F fan-forced). Brush a 8.5cm x 17.5cm (3⅓in x 6¾in), base measurement, loaf tin with a little extra oil to grease and line the base and two long sides with one piece of baking paper.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and mixed spice into a large bowl, returning any husks from the flour to the bowl. Stir in the sugar and pecans.
- Core and then coarsely grate 3 of the apples. Place in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, oil and vanilla and use a fork to whisk together until evenly combined. The apple mixture to the dry ingredients and use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold together until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Peel, quarter, core and thinly slice the remaining apple and arrange on the top of the loaf. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in the tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the Whipped Honey Butter, use an electric mixer to beat the butter, honey and vanilla essence or extract until pale and creamy. Transfer to a serving dish, cover and set aside in a cool place.
- Cut the apple bread into 2cm-thick slices. Serve fresh or toasted, spread with the Whipped Honey Butter.
- This apple bread will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- This bread is delicious served toasted. If you wish to toast it, make it without the sliced apple on top as it tends to burn during toasting.
- To freeze, cut into slices and either wrap each slice separately in plastic wrap or separate the slices with freezer wrap. Seal in a plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature or toast straight from the freezer.