Frequently Asked Questions
How does Make Me a Baker work? When are the hands-on sessions held?
Make Me a Baker runs over 6 months and comprises of hands-on classes, workshops, online forums and at-home projects.
The hands-on classes:
- Take place once a month and run for the full day (from approximately 9.30am-5.30pm).
- Are held on Sundays.
- Are held in the state-of-the-art BakeClub kitchen in Rosebery, Sydney.
For the month in between our hands-on sessions together:
- You will be able to put into practice all you have learnt in the session, in your own kitchen. Taking home 3-5 of Anneka’s personally developed recipes specifically related to each module to practice, you will be able to imbed your new-found knowledge through the “homework” component of the program.
- You will become a member of the Make Me a Baker exclusive online forum, which is only open to students of the program. Here you will stay in touch with Anneka and other MMAB students (both current and past) and celebrate your “homework” wins and discuss how to improve any baking that missed the mark. You will also be able to directly ask Anneka any baking-related questions you wish.
- Anneka will send you tips, tricks and information that will help you improve your baking skills and continue your learning.
What will I learn?
The Make Me a Baker Program Outline takes you through the comprehensive program that will teach you not only the 'how' but also the 'why' of baking, exploring the science behind it and giving you the know-how and skills to be a brilliant baker.
Make Me a Baker will not only extend your baking skills but you will follow the entire baking process from learning how to write your own recipes and substitute ingredients, to presenting and styling your finished product with tips and tricks from industry professionals.
How much savoury baking is involved?
The Make Me a Baker course covers both sweet and savoury baking techniques. Of course, some techniques are more suited to sweet baking, however, the program covers a wide variety of savoury recipes (approximately 25% of the program) including savoury quickbreads, breads and pastries.
Will I learn cake decorating?
The Make Me a Baker program is a technique-based baking program and you will get to learn how to bake a large variety of cakes. Basic piping and decorating techniques are covered, however the program doesn’t cover traditional cake decorating in depth such as intricate fondant work.
We also get to enjoy a wonderful session focusing on presentation and decoration (with special guest presenters):
- A food stylist showing you how to style and present your baking with magazine-style finishes.
- A professional food photographer to teach you how to expertly capture it on camera.
Is Make Me a Baker suitable for beginner bakers?
Absolutely! Make Me a Baker is a unique 6-month program designed to make you a confident, inspired and skilled baker - no matter your current ability!
When you book into Make Me a Baker, we will ask you what sort of baker you consider yourself to be. This is so we can make sure that each hands-on session and the related at-home projects are designed for everyone participating in the program, no matter what your baking ability and skill level.
We would love to chat to you in person to help you work out if Make Make a Baker is right for you. Please email us and we will be in touch and work out a suitable time for us to chat. Alternatively, please do not hesitate to contact us on 02 9399 7645. We can also arrange for you to talk to Anneka Manning herself. Click here to book a phone call and speak to the expert!
Where is the Make Me a Baker program held?
All of our hands-on Make Me a Baker classes take place in the at Flash in the Pan Studio in Rosebery. If you are attending a Make Me a Baker hands-on class it will be held at: Studio 216, Level 2, 30-40 Harcourt Parade, Rosebery NSW 2018.
How can I get to the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our studio kitchen is located in Rosebery, only 10 minutes from Sydney's CBD. It is easily accessible by car and there is unlimited parking on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
We are also very close to a range of public transport, including:
- Buses: many buses travel to Rosebery and very close to the studio kitchen
- Trains: Mascot Railway Station is only 2.5kms away and a 5-minute taxi ride. It is located on Bourke Street near the corner of Church Avenue, Mascot.
- Planes: If you are travelling long distances to join us for Make Me a Baker, we are delighted to have you. We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.
Is there parking available at the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our kitchen is located in a suburban area, with some industrial buildings. We do not have a dedicated parking area but you won’t have trouble finding all day parking as there is unlimited parking on Harcourt Parade directly in front of our building’s entrance as well as around the corner on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
I’m thinking of travelling from country NSW or interstate to attend the Make Me a Baker program! Can you help with accommodation options? Are you close to the airport?
Many of our students travel long distances to join us for Make Me a Baker.
We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.
At the end of each hands-on session we are more than happy to order a taxi to make sure you are back at the airport in time for your flight.
There are many options for accommodation close to both Sydney Airport and the BakeClub kitchen in Rosebery. If you would like, we can help you find somewhere nice to stay. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
BakeClub is also only:
- 1½ hours drive from the Southern Highlands or Wollongong
- 2 hours from The Blue Mountains
- 2½ hours from Newcastle
The program I had hoped to sign-up to just "SOLD OUT". Do you have a waitlist for future Make Me a Baker programs?
Yes! If you would like to attend a particular Make Me a Baker program, but there are no spaces available, please email us and we can waitlist you in case we receive a cancellation for the current program.
We would also be delighted to add you to the waitlist for future programs and, if you email us, we will be in touch when the next program is open for bookings.
Can you "hold me a spot" for a Make Me a Baker program?
Unfortunately we can't reserve your place in a Make Me a Baker program until the nominated deposit or full payment is made. The deposit will confirm your place in your selected program and is non-refundable.
We would be very pleased to add you to a waitlist for the Make Me a Baker and we will make sure that we are in touch with you when the next program is open for bookings. Please email us to let us know of your interest.
What happens if I am unable to come along to one of the Make Me a Baker sessions? Can I still do the course?
Absolutely. If, unfortunately, you need to miss a session, we offer you the following to make up for missing the class in person:
- PDF of the recipe kits and homework pages will be emailed to you, so that you can start putting into practice what was covered at the workshop you missed before your next session.
- Full audio recording of the session you missed to listen to at home, in your own time.
- A one-on-one 1-hour catch-up with Anneka Manning either in person or on the phone to discuss techniques and content of missed session. This will be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
- Catch-up session with a future MMAB group.
- Any product or take-home items (other than baked goods!) will be available for you at the next session, or we can arrange to have them sent to you at home. This would obviously depend on the type of product and will be mutually agreed upon.
If a book into Make Me a Baker, but then have to change my plans due to unforeseen circumstances, what can I do?
If, unfortunately, you need to miss a session, please see the question above for what we can offer you to make up for missing the class in person. We are unable to offer partial refunds for non-attendance to any sessions.
If you are unable to attend the whole Make Me a Baker program for any reason, please get in touch with us and we can work out the best option together:
Unfortunately, we are unable to give you a refund due to our intimate class sizes and any deposits paid are non-refundable.
However, if you give us at least 2 months notice (at least 60 days) we will be pleased to transfer your deposit or full payment to a future Make Me a Baker program, as far as we are able.
If you are unable to join us in the future, your booking will be deemed a cancellation. If you are able to give at least 3 months notice (at least 90 days) of your cancellation, and had made a full payment, it may be partially refundable (up to 50%). Please get in touch with us to discuss.
What are the Terms and Conditions for the Make Me a Baker program?