Macadamia & Honeycomb Ice Cream Sandwiches
Prep 20min (+4hr freezing and 20min cooling time)Bake 15minMakes 8 serves
A blissful combination of truly Aussie flavours — Anzac biscuits, macadamias and honeycomb — these ice-cream sandwiches are the ultimate summer indulgence.
- 75g (½ cup) plain flour
- 70g (¾ cup) rolled oats
- 45g (½ cup) desiccated coconut
- 75g (⅓ cup) caster sugar
- 60g (⅓ cup) unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
- 75g butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons water
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Honeycomb Ice Cream
- 2 litres good-quality vanilla ice-cream
- 2 x 50g Violet Crumble bars, coarsely chopped
- To make the honeycomb ice-cream, line a freezer proof tray with non-stick baking paper. Scoop the ice-cream into a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or until softened slightly. Working quickly, sprinkle with the crushed Violet Crumble over the ice cream and use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold together until just combined, being careful not to overwork as the ice cream may start to melt. Spread the ice-cream evenly over the lined freezer proof tray until about 2cm thick. Cover with another piece of baking paper and quickly smooth the surface. Place in the freezer for 4 hours or until set.
- To make the Anzac biscuits, preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Put the flour, rolled oats, coconut, sugar and macadamia in a medium mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Put the butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the butter melts and the mixture is hot. Remove from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine; the mixture will foam up. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with the wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place about 7cm apart on the lined trays. Use your fingers to flatten the balls until they are about 1cm thick and about 6.5cm in diameter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, swapping the trays after 6 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Remove the biscuits from the oven and cool on the trays (this will take about 20 minutes).
- To assemble the sandwiches, line a metal tray with baking paper and place in the freezer. Use a 6-7cm round cutter to cut out rounds from the firm ice-cream. Sandwich the ice-cream between two biscuits, pressing firmly together. Place on the tray in the freezer. Repeat with the remaining ice-cream and biscuits to make 8 sandwiches in total. Serve straight away or leave in the freezer until ready to serve.
- The unfilled Anzac biscuits will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- The assembled ice-cream sandwiches will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.
This recipe is from Anneka's SBS Food online column, Bakeproof: Aussie Day Favourites. CLICK HERE for more Bakeproof recipes.
Photography by Alan Benson.