Top 5 Things To Do Before You Start To Bake
08 Nov 2017 - Anneka Manning
It’s tempting to jump straight into a recipe, but getting organised before you start can often dictate whether a baking experience will be painful or pleasurable.
It doesn’t take long to get a few things sorted and by following these five simple steps you will be well on the way to brilliant baking:
- Read through your recipe. It’s important to know what ingredients and equipment are called for, what sort of preparation you will need to do and how long the actual baking will take before you get started.
- Adjust your oven racks if necessary. Make sure they are at the right level for the particular recipes you are baking before you preheat your oven.
- Preheat the oven. This is crucial. Make sure you set it to the required temperature at least 20 minutes before you use it.
- Prepare your cake tins or baking trays. Always follow what has been specified in the recipe (greasing, lining and/or dusting with flour) to prevent sticking. There is nothing more frustrating than turning out a cake and finding the bottom half is stuck to the tin.
- Get out all your ingredients and equipment. Make a habit of doing this every time you cook (not only when you bake). It is more efficient as it saves you stopping every few minutes to get something out of the cupboard.