Toasted Almond & Blueberry Muesli
Prep 15minBake 50minMakes 12 serves
Serve with milk and a dollop of Greek-style yoghurt for a satisfying and tasty breakfast that will take you through to lunchtime without the need to nibble.
Ingredients300g (3 cups) rolled oats
75g (½ cup) pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
75g (½ cup) sunflower seeds
65g (1 cup) shredded coconut
100g natural almonds, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
125ml (½ cup) unsweetened apple juice
2 tablespoons single-origin floral honey
90g (½ cup) dried blueberries (see Baker’s Tips)
Milk, Greek-style yoghurt and coarsely grated apple or other fresh fruit of your choice
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large oven tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, almonds and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour over the apple juice and stir until evenly combined. Spread evenly on the oven tray and then drizzle evenly with the honey.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, stirring about every 10 minutes, until evenly toasted and crisp (the muesli will crispen further once cooled). Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Stir in the blueberries.
- Serve with milk, yoghurt and apple or fruit of your choice.
- Store the toasted muesli in and airtight container or jar for up to 1 month.
- You can use 75g (½ cup) currants in place of the dried blueberries.
- This muesli (without the blueberries) makes a wonderful crumble topping. Reduce the baking time to 20 minutes.
Almond & Blueberry Bircher Muesli (for 3 serves): combine 1½ cups of Toasted Almond & Blueberry Muesli, 185ml (¾ cup) natural apple juice, 95g (⅓ cup) natural Greek-style yoghurt, and ½ large red apple (such as pink lady), coarsely grated. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until the muesli has soaked up the liquid and is creamy. Serve topped with yoghurt, coarsely grated apple and coarsely chopped toasted almonds. Keep any remaining muesli covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.