The Secrets of Vanilla: a Baking Essentials Masterclass
Come on a special one-off vanilla journey that will take you from the vanilla farms of Madagascar to Vava'u Tonga, Papua New Guinea, Mexico and Tahiti...
This masterclass will take you through the fascinating history of vanilla, including how and where its grown, and why it has become so essential in our baking today. Through her in-depth, hands-on understanding of vanilla, Renee will bust those vanilla myths, including the difference between extract and essence. A guided vanilla-tasting experience will show you exactly how unique each vanilla variety really is and highlight just how much vanilla is the salt and pepper of the sweet world.
Anneka will be your master baking guide, showing you which style of vanilla is the best one to choose to enhance each of your favourite recipes and how to get the most from the vanilla you select. She will also be sharing some of her much-loved vanilla-based recipes including:
- Classic baked custard with vanilla-poached strawberries
- Rich flourless chocolate cake with Chantilly cream
- One-bowl vanilla cupcakes
- Vanilla, maple and cinnamon granola
- Roasted pumpkin salad with vanilla vinaigrette
So join us and learn all there is to know about this exotic spice!
- 2 hours of expert vanilla and baking advice, guidance and inspiration from Anneka Manning and Renee MacDonald
- Your chance to ask any vanilla or baking question you've always wanted to know the answer to
- Tips for navigating the vanilla section at the supermarket and how to pick the best vanilla for your every-day and special occasion recipes
- An invaluable recipe & information kit
- A very special goodie bag with a variety of Queen vanilla products to use in your baking at home
- Tastings throughout the class
- Vanilla-inspired afternoon tea
- Confidence, skill and vanilla know-how to take home, keep and use regularly in your own kitchen
- Experiencing the state-of-the-art BakeClub kitchen in Rosebery, Sydney
Meet your hosts:
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to have any particular baking or cooking skills to attend a class?
Definitely not! Bakers of all levels are most welcome. We will ask you when you are booking what sort of baker you consider yourself to be. This is so we can make sure the class is designed for everyone, no matter what your baking ability and skill level.
Are all ingredients and equipment supplied for my BakeClass?
Yes, all ingredients and equipment are included in the price for all BakeClasses, apart from an apron.
Do I need to bring anything with me to a BakeClass?
Make sure you wear closed shoes and please bring an apron with you. Also bring a pen if you would like to make notes on your recipes.
How many people come along to each class?
Our intimate hands-on group classes will have no more than 12 people. They have been designed to introduce you to a specific baking topic in a fun and friendly atmosphere where recipes and ideas will be shared, baking sticking points and 'fears' will be overcome and loads of relevant hints and tips that you can take back to your own kitchen will be learnt.
What will I be taking home at the end of the class?
Along with a new confidence to bake and loads of useful information and memorable hints and tips that you will be able to use in your own kitchen, you will also be taking home an invaluable recipe and information kit and a ‘goodie’ box with samples of all the recipes that are made in the class (just so you can be the most popular person in your house!) You will also take home special gifts from our wonderful partners.
How do I book a place at a BakeClass?
You can book online for our scheduled classes through our BakeClasses page. Unfortunately, we can’t reserve your place in a class until full payment is made. Once you have booked and full payment has been made you will receive a booking confirmation email and receipt from us. Please email us if you have any other queries before the class.
What happens if I am unable to come along to the class I have booked?
If you are unable to attend a class for any reason, unfortunately we are unable to give you a refund due to our intimate class sizes. However, you have two options:
- Send a friend in your place. Please contact us and let us know who will be attending in your place and their contact details.
- If you give us at least 14 days notice then you are able to transfer your ticket to another scheduled BakeClass within 6 months of the original class. Please contact us and let us know your new choice of class.
If you are unable to take up either of these two options, your booking will be deemed as a cancellation, which is non-refundable.
Please see the BakeClub Terms and Conditions for more information.
Can I purchase a Gift Certificate?
Yes, they make a great gift for family and friends – especially if you plan on coming to a class together. BakeClub Gift Certificates can be purchased here for the value of $100 or $220.
Once you have purchased a gift certificate will receive an automatic confirmation email with a receipt from us. The Gift Certificate can be emailed to you, to the recipient of your choice or it can be posted out to you.
Please note that BakeClub Gift certificates are non-refundable however they are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
Can I make a group booking?
Yes, you can. You can find out more about Private Group bookings here, specifically tailored for a group of friends or business colleagues, or contact us. You can also book all 12 places in one of our scheduled BakeClasses and get a 10% discount.
Do you have a wait list?
Yes! If you would like to attend a particular BakeClass but there are no available tickets, you can click on "Join the Waiting List" on the page of the particular class you wish to join. We will then notify you if there are any cancellations for that particular date, or we will be in touch when we schedule another BakeClass of the same topic.
If you would like to attend a particular BakeClass but there is no BakeClass of that topic scheduled in the calendar, please contact us and we will add you to a waitlist for that class.
Where are BakeClasses held?
All of our hands-on Make Me a Baker classes take place in the at Flash in the Pan Studio in Rosebery. If you are attending a Make Me a Baker hands-on class it will be held at: Studio 216, Level 2, 30-40 Harcourt Parade, Rosebery NSW 2018.
Is there parking available at the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our kitchen is located in a suburban area, with some industrial buildings. We do not have a dedicated parking area but you won’t have trouble finding all day parking as there is unlimited parking on Harcourt Parade directly in front of our building’s entrance as well as around the corner on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
How can I get to the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our studio kitchen is located in Rosebery, only 10 minutes from Sydney's CBD. It is easily accessible by car and there is unlimited parking on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
We are also very close to a range of public transport, including:
- Buses: many buses travel to Rosebery and very close to the studio kitchen
- Trains: Mascot Railway Station is only 2.5kms away and a 5-minute taxi ride. It is located on Bourke Street near the corner of Church Avenue, Mascot.
- Planes: If you are travelling long distances to join us for Make Me a Baker, we are delighted to have you. We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.