Cooking for School Leavers
Learn the basics of cooking – and so much more
This 4-hour class for school leavers will cover not only the basics of cooking but also the fundamentals of how to choose fresh produce when shopping, identifying different cuts of meat, storing ingredients and how to use leftovers – and so much more.
The boys will learn to cook four simple, yet impressive, meals from scratch that are cheaper, more delicious and healthier than take away.
What we will cover:
- The essential basics of cooking
- How to cook four simple, but impressive, meals from scratch
- Identifying different cuts of meat and poultry and how they are best cooked and why; and how to break down a chicken with guest Butcher Neil Gleeson from The Village Butchery, Randwick
- What to look for when shopping e.g. how to choose the freshest produce and which cuts of meat to buy when on a budget
- How to store fresh fruits, vegetables and meats to get the most out of them
- How to use leftovers
Why the boys will want to do this class (and why parents will want them to do it!):
- To gain life-long skills that you can use every day
- To be able to cook meals from scratch that are cheaper, more delicious and healthier than take away
- To be able to cook for family, friends and partners (or potential partners!)
- To save money and eat on a budget
This class will take place In the BakeClub Kitchen in Rosebery from 10.00am-2.00pm and will include lunch.
This class is suitable for:
School leavers who want to learn the basics of cooking and how to cook from scratch!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a COVID-19 Management Plan for your classes?
Yes, we do. You can read all about what we are doing in our classes to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all of our students and staff in our COVID-19 Management plan through this link.
Do I need to have any particular baking or cooking skills to attend a class?
Bakers of all levels are most welcome at our classes. Some classes are more suitable for students with some baking experience. Please check the individual class page which details who that class is suitable for be it a beginner, intermediate or experienced baker.
Do I need to bring anything with me to a Discovery Masterclass?
Make sure you wear closed shoes and bring a pen if you would like to make notes on your recipes.
Do I need to bring anything with me to a hands-on Workshop?
Make sure you wear closed shoes and please bring an apron. Also, bring a pen if you would like to make notes on your recipes.
Are all ingredients and equipment supplied for my hands-on Workshop?
Yes, all ingredients and equipment are included in the price for all workshops, apart from an apron.
How many people come along to each class?
Our Discovery Masterclasses will have no more than 20 people per class while our more intimate hands-on group classes will have no more than 12 people.
What will I be taking home at the end of the class?
Along with new confidence to bake and lots of useful information and loads of memorable hints and tips, you will also be taking home an invaluable recipe and information kit and special gifts from our wonderful partners. Participants of our workshops will also take home a ‘goodie’ box with samples of all the recipes that are made in the class (just so you can be the most popular person in your house!)
How do I book a place at one of your classes?
You can book online for our scheduled classes by clicking here. Unfortunately, we can’t reserve your place in a class until full payment is made. Once you have booked and full payment has been made you will receive a booking confirmation email and receipt from us. Please email us if you have any other queries before the class.
Do you have a wait list?
Yes! If you would like to attend a particular class but there are no available tickets, you can click on "Join the Waiting List" on the page of the particular class you wish to join. We will then notify you if there are any cancellations for that particular date, or we will be in touch when we schedule another class of the same topic.
If you would like to attend a particular class but there is no class of that topic scheduled in the calendar, please contact us and we will add you to a waitlist for that class.
What happens if I am unable to come along to the class I have booked?
If you are unable to attend a class for any reason, unfortunately we are unable to give you a refund due to our intimate class sizes. However, you have two options:
- Send a friend in your place. Please contact us and let us know who will be attending in your place and their contact details. You may use this option up until 24 hours before the class.
- If you give at least 14 days notice, you are able to transfer your ticket to another scheduled class of the same format being a Discovery Masterclass, Workshop or Weekend Workshop. This must be used within 6 months of the original class, subject to availability. Please contact us and let us know your new choice and date of class, and we will endeavour to accomodate your request as best as possible.
If you are unable to take up either of these two options, your booking will be deemed as a cancellation, which is non-refundable.
Please see the BakeClub Terms and Conditions for more information.
Can I purchase a Gift Certificate?
Yes, they make a great gift for family and friends – especially if you plan on coming to a class together. BakeClub Gift Certificates can be purchased here for the value of $100, $180 or $250.
Once you have purchased a gift certificate will receive an automatic confirmation email with a receipt from us. The Gift Certificate can be emailed to you, to the recipient of your choice or it can be posted out to you.
Please note that BakeClub Gift certificates are non-refundable however they are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase.
Can I make a group booking?
Yes, you can. Contact us to find out more.
Where are Discovery Masterclasses and Workshops held?
All of our classes take place in the at Flash in the Pan Studio in Rosebery: Studio 216, Level 2, 30-40 Harcourt Parade, Rosebery NSW 2018.
Is there parking available at the BakeClub kitchen?
Our kitchen is located in a suburban area, with some industrial buildings. We do not have a dedicated parking area but you won’t have trouble finding all day parking as there is unlimited parking on Harcourt Parade directly in front of our building’s entrance as well as around the corner on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
How can I get to the BakeClub kitchen?
Our studio kitchen is located in Rosebery, only 10 minutes from Sydney's CBD. It is easily accessible by car and there is unlimited parking on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
We are also very close to a range of public transport, including:
- Buses: many buses travel to Rosebery and very close to the studio kitchen
- Trains: Mascot Railway Station is only 2.5kms away and a 5-minute taxi ride. It is located on Bourke Street near the corner of Church Avenue, Mascot.
- Planes: If you are travelling long distances to join us, we are delighted to have you. We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.