Chocolate & Hazelnut Shortbread
Prep 15minBake 20minMakes about 20
Simple and super quick to make, these shortbread will satisfy even the most hard-core chocoholic! For extra crunch, try adding some chopped roasted hazelnuts to the mixture with the chopped chocolate.
Ingredients150g chilled unsalted butter, diced
100g (½ cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
110g (¾ cup) plain flour
30g (⅓ cup) cornflour
30g (¼ cup) cocoa powder, sifted
75g (⅔ cup) hazelnut meal
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract or essence
100g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Line two large oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, cornflour, cocoa powder, hazelnut meal and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor (see Baker's tips) and process for 1 minute or until the mixture starts to form a dough – be careful not to over-mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl, add the chocolate and bring together with your hands to combine evenly.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of the mixture into balls and place on the lined trays about 5 cm apart. Flatten each with a fork so that they are about 1cm thick.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, swapping the trays halfway through baking, or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and cool on the trays.
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can make these shortbread by hand. Leave the butter at room temperature for a little while for it to soften slightly. Put the sugar, flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and hazelnut meal in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the vanilla and then use your fingertips to rub the butter through the dry ingredients until it starts to come together and forms a dough. Continue the recipe from Step 2.
- These shortbread will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Photography by Alan Benson.