Carrot and Parsnip Picnic Loaf
Prep 25min (+2hr cooling time)
Bake 50minMakes 10 serves
This loaf is the perfect cake to take on a picnic. Dense with carrot and parsnip, studded with walnuts and spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom, you will be looking for excuses to make it for every occasion, not just those held in the great outdoors!
sunflower oil, to grease
100g (⅔ cup) wholemeal plain flour
75g (½ cup) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
145g (⅔ cup) raw sugar
100g walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
2 eggs, at room temperature
165ml (⅔ cup) sunflower or light olive oil
200g (about 2 medium) carrots, peeled and coarsely grated (see Baker's Tips)
125g (about 1 medium) parsnips, peeled and coarsely grated (see Baker's Tips)
125g (1 cup) icing sugar mixture, sifted
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Brush a 9cm x 19cm (base measurement) loaf tin with oil to grease. Line the base and two long sides with one piece of non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom into a large bowl. Add the sugar and walnuts and stir to combine.
- Put the eggs and oil in a medium bowl and use a fork to whisk until well combined. Stir in the grated carrot and parsnip. Add to the dry ingredients and use a large metal spoon or spatula to fold together until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon glaze, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. Cover and set aside while the loaf finishes cooling.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and stand for a few minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack and setting aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly. Spoon the lemon glaze over the loaf, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. Cool to room temperature (this will take about 1½ hours) and slice to serve.
- You will need about 1⅓ cups coarsely grated carrot and ⅔ cup coarsely grated parsnip for this recipe.
Photography by Alan Benson.