Make Me a Baker Program
- MAKE ME A BAKER -
NEW DATES NOW AVAILABLE:
28th April - 15th September 2019
The practical, approachable, inspiring and
fun way to learn to bake
This unique 6-month program is designed to make you a confident, inspired and skilled baker - no matter your current ability!
Currently the only baking course of its kind available in Australia, Make Me a Baker is hosted by Anneka Manning and comprises of a series of hands-on classes, workshops, online forums and at-home projects. It not only covers the basics of baking but also the more challenging techniques as well.
You will follow the entire baking process from learning how to write your own recipes and substitute ingredients right up to presenting and styling your finished product with tips and tricks from industry professionals.
Throughout this comprehensive program, you will learn not only the 'how' but also the 'why' of baking, exploring the science behind it and giving you the know-how and confidence to be a brilliant baker.
Don't take our word for it! Hear what some of our graduates had to say about their Make Me a Baker experience.
All hands-on classes take place in the Flash in the Pan Studio kitchen in Rosebery (only 10 minutes from Sydney's CBD).
Want to know more? Click here to download the Make Me a Baker brochure.
Current program Dates:
MMAB10 April-September 2019 hands-on session dates:
- Sunday 28th April 2019, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 26th May 2019, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 16th June 2019, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 21st July 2019, 9.00am-6.00pm
- Sunday 18th August 2019, 9.00pm-6.00pm
- Sunday 15th September 2019, 12.00pm-5.00pm
MMAB9 October 2018-April 2019 hands-on session dates
- Sunday 21st October 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 18th November 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 9th December 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 3rd February 2019, 9.00am-6.00pm
- Sunday 3rd March 2019, 9.00pm-6.00pm
- Sunday 7th April 2019, 12.00pm-5.00pm
MMAB8 July-December 2018 hands-on session dates (SOLD OUT):
- Sunday 8th July 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 5th August 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 9th September 2018, 9.30am-5.30pm
- Sunday 14th October 2018, 9.00am-6.00pm
- Sunday 4th November 2018, 9.00pm-6.00pm
- Sunday 2nd December 2018, 12.00pm-5.00pm
Module 1 – Strong Foundations: baking basics
The first module will set the foundations and teach you the basics of baking including a thorough understanding of the ingredients most commonly used in baking and the importance of a carefully selected collection of utensils and equipment.
Module 2 – It's All in the Mix: simple mixing methods
In the second module, we explore simple mixing methods – the perfect starting place if you are new to baking or just want to rebuild your baking skills from the ground up. Quick, easy and fool-proof, these methods will have you whipping up cakes, slices and biscuits in no time!
Module 3 – Recipe Know-how: how to read recipes and write your own
A recipe should always be clear, informative and concise but unfortunately this is not always the case. The third module will explore in detail the ways a recipe can be structured and the terms that may be used so that you confidently know how to get the most out of every recipe.
Module 4 – Cream with Confidence: creaming methods and when to use them
The fourth module will teach you all there is to know about creaming butter and sugar together and when to use this method. Say hello to beautifully light and airy cakes, biscuits, loaves and puddings!
Module 5 – The Science of Baking: understanding the 'why'
One of our most popular sessions, the fifth module will uncover the mysteries behind everyday ingredients and why they affect our baking when used in different ways. We will arm you with the knowledge to make changes to recipes knowing how, and why, they will affect your final product, and how to avoid many of the common pitfalls associated with baking.
Module 6 – Pastry Perfection: pastry-making essentials
The secret to a really fabulous pie or tart, a really good homemade pastry is not as difficult as you may think. In the sixth module, we’ll teach you the hints, tips and tricks so that you can master the art of making melt-in-the-mouth shortcrust pastry, every single time.
Module 7 – Whisk Like a Pro: whisking techniques and all things eggy
The seventh module will explore the different whisking techniques and how to use them in your baking: from light and airy souffles, to gloriously crisp-shelled, snowy-white meringues and how to make the perfect classic sponge, you will learn the importance of eggs in baking and how to ensure the perfect final product each and every time.
Module 8 – Advanced Pastry: beyond the shortcrust
Our ninth module will cover all there is to know about puff and choux pastries. Starting off with basic fail-safe recipes for each one, we will also look at several variations, arming you with all the techniques and confidence you need to make your own pastry at home.
Module 9 – Rise to the Occasion: baking with yeast
Our final module is all about bread and baking with yeast. You will learn the difference between fresh and dried yeast (and how to use both in your baking) as well as kneading, proving and all there is to know about baking your own bread, scrolls, pizzas, rolls, flatbreads… With the right know-how, the list is endless!
Module 10 – Showing Your Best Side: picture-perfect presentation and decoration *with special guest presenters
What do we do once our baking is complete? We plate up of course (and these days we’re more than likely to take pictures too!) During our very special eighth module, Food Stylist Jane Hann will show you how to style and present your baking with magazine-style finishes and professional food photographer Alan Benson will teach you how to expertly capture it on camera.
Show Off Your Skills - Make Me a Baker Graduation
A very special afternoon tea event where you will show off your new skills to your family and friends while celebrating your baking achievements over the last 6 months with your fellow bakers.
Option 1 - Full Payment - $4455.00 (incl. GST), a saving of 10%
- Pay in full upfront and receive a 10% discount on the full price of $4950.00 (incl. GST).
Option 2 - Payment Plan - $4950.00 (incl. GST)
- Pay $450.00 (incl. GST) deposit when booking and 6 x monthly payments of $750.00 (incl. GST).
- Your first monthly payment will be deducted on the 1st of the month of the start of the program you have booked into and will be followed by 5 consecutive payments on the 1st of every month.
- Sign up with a friend on the Payment Plan and get a 5% discount!
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Make Me a Baker work? When are the hands-on sessions held?
Make Me a Baker runs over 6 months and comprises of hands-on classes, workshops, online forums and at-home projects.
The hands-on classes:
- Take place once a month and run for the full day (from approximately 9.30am-5.30pm).
- Are held on Sundays.
- Are held in the state-of-the-art BakeClub kitchen in Rosebery, Sydney.
For the month in between our hands-on sessions together:
- You will be able to put into practice all you have learnt in the session, in your own kitchen. Taking home 3-5 of Anneka’s personally developed recipes specifically related to each module to practice, you will be able to imbed your new-found knowledge through the “homework” component of the program.
- You will become a member of the Make Me a Baker exclusive online forum, which is only open to students of the program. Here you will stay in touch with Anneka and other MMAB students (both current and past) and celebrate your “homework” wins and discuss how to improve any baking that missed the mark. You will also be able to directly ask Anneka any baking-related questions you wish.
- Anneka will send you tips, tricks and information that will help you improve your baking skills and continue your learning.
What will I learn?
The Make Me a Baker Program Outline takes you through the comprehensive program that will teach you not only the 'how' but also the 'why' of baking, exploring the science behind it and giving you the know-how and skills to be a brilliant baker.
Make Me a Baker will not only extend your baking skills but you will follow the entire baking process from learning how to write your own recipes and substitute ingredients, to presenting and styling your finished product with tips and tricks from industry professionals.
How much savoury baking is involved?
The Make Me a Baker course covers both sweet and savoury baking techniques. Of course, some techniques are more suited to sweet baking, however, the program covers a wide variety of savoury recipes (approximately 25% of the program) including savoury quickbreads, breads and pastries.
Will I learn cake decorating?
The Make Me a Baker program is a technique-based baking program and you will get to learn how to bake a large variety of cakes. Basic piping and decorating techniques are covered, however the program doesn’t cover traditional cake decorating in depth such as intricate fondant work.
We also get to enjoy a wonderful session focusing on presentation and decoration (with special guest presenters):
- A food stylist showing you how to style and present your baking with magazine-style finishes.
- A professional food photographer to teach you how to expertly capture it on camera.
Is Make Me a Baker suitable for beginner bakers?
Absolutely! Make Me a Baker is a unique 6-month program designed to make you a confident, inspired and skilled baker - no matter your current ability!
When you book into Make Me a Baker, we will ask you what sort of baker you consider yourself to be. This is so we can make sure that each hands-on session and the related at-home projects are designed for everyone participating in the program, no matter what your baking ability and skill level.
We would love to chat to you in person to help you work out if Make Make a Baker is right for you. Please email us and we will be in touch and work out a suitable time for us to chat. Alternatively, please do not hesitate to contact us on 02 9399 7645. We can also arrange for you to talk to Anneka Manning herself. Click here to book a phone call and speak to the expert!
Where is the Make Me a Baker program held?
All of our hands-on Make Me a Baker classes take place in the at Flash in the Pan Studio in Rosebery. If you are attending a Make Me a Baker hands-on class it will be held at: Studio 216, Level 2, 30-40 Harcourt Parade, Rosebery NSW 2018.
How can I get to the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our studio kitchen is located in Rosebery, only 10 minutes from Sydney's CBD. It is easily accessible by car and there is unlimited parking on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
We are also very close to a range of public transport, including:
- Buses: many buses travel to Rosebery and very close to the studio kitchen
- Trains: Mascot Railway Station is only 2.5kms away and a 5-minute taxi ride. It is located on Bourke Street near the corner of Church Avenue, Mascot.
- Planes: If you are travelling long distances to join us for Make Me a Baker, we are delighted to have you. We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.
Is there parking available at the Make Me a Baker kitchen?
Our kitchen is located in a suburban area, with some industrial buildings. We do not have a dedicated parking area but you won’t have trouble finding all day parking as there is unlimited parking on Harcourt Parade directly in front of our building’s entrance as well as around the corner on Rothschild Avenue and ample parking in surrounding suburban streets.
I’m thinking of travelling from country NSW or interstate to attend the Make Me a Baker program! Can you help with accommodation options? Are you close to the airport?
Many of our students travel long distances to join us for Make Me a Baker.
We are easily accessible from Sydney’s domestic airport and it is only a 7-minute taxi ride to the BakeClub kitchen.
At the end of each hands-on session we are more than happy to order a taxi to make sure you are back at the airport in time for your flight.
There are many options for accommodation close to both Sydney Airport and the BakeClub kitchen in Rosebery. If you would like, we can help you find somewhere nice to stay. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
BakeClub is also only:
- 1½ hours drive from the Southern Highlands or Wollongong
- 2 hours from The Blue Mountains
- 2½ hours from Newcastle
The program I had hoped to sign-up to just "SOLD OUT". Do you have a waitlist for future Make Me a Baker programs?
Yes! If you would like to attend a particular Make Me a Baker program, but there are no spaces available, please email us and we can waitlist you in case we receive a cancellation for the current program.
We would also be delighted to add you to the waitlist for future programs and, if you email us, we will be in touch when the next program is open for bookings.
Can you "hold me a spot" for a Make Me a Baker program?
Unfortunately we can't reserve your place in a Make Me a Baker program until the nominated deposit or full payment is made. The deposit will confirm your place in your selected program and is non-refundable.
We would be very pleased to add you to a waitlist for the Make Me a Baker and we will make sure that we are in touch with you when the next program is open for bookings. Please email us to let us know of your interest.
What happens if I am unable to come along to one of the Make Me a Baker sessions? Can I still do the course?
Absolutely. If, unfortunately, you need to miss a session, we can offer you the following to make up for missing the class in person:
- Any product or take-home items (other than baked goods!) will be available for you at the next session, or we can arrange to have them sent to you at home. This would obviously depend on the type of product and will be mutually agreed upon.
- Hard copies of the recipe kits and homework pages, so that you can start putting into practice what was covered at the workshop you missed.
- Voice recordings for the session you missed, to listen to at home, in your own time.
- A one-on-one 1-hour catch-up with Anneka Manning either in person or on the phone, in lieu of you attending the hands-on workshop. This will be arranged at a mutually convenient time.
If a book into Make Me a Baker, but then have to change my plans due to unforeseen circumstances, what can I do?
If, unfortunately, you need to miss a session, please see the question above for what we can offer you to make up for missing the class in person. We are unable to offer partial refunds for non-attendance to any sessions.
If you are unable to attend the whole Make Me a Baker program for any reason, please get in touch with us and we can work out the best option together:
Unfortunately, we are unable to give you a refund due to our intimate class sizes and any deposits paid are non-refundable.
However, if you give us at least 2 months notice (at least 60 days) we will be pleased to transfer your deposit or full payment to a future Make Me a Baker program, as far as we are able.
If you are unable to join us in the future, your booking will be deemed a cancellation. If you are able to give at least 3 months notice (at least 90 days) of your cancellation, and had made a full payment, it may be partially refundable (up to 50%). Please get in touch with us to discuss.
What are the Terms and Conditions for the Make Me a Baker program?
Is Make Me a Baker for me?
Below we have outlined how Make Me a Baker may be suitable for you.
Are you thinking of starting up a home-baking business?
Do you love baking and want it to become your day-job?
Would you love to learn how to create artisan-style baked goods and be paid for what you love to do?
Our 6-month Make Me a Baker program will give you the confidence and teach you everything you need to know to turn your love of baking into a business. You will explore your creativity and develop your own unique style of baking, learning to create beautiful, artisan-style home-baked goods and get paid for what you love to do!
- Make Me a Baker is suitable for all baking levels: from beginner to experienced.
- You will master all aspects of baking: from the absolute basics right through to advanced techniques.
- Develop your own style of baking and learn how to create beautiful artisan-style baked goods.
Have you been looking for a way to make your café stand out?
Do you want to bring home-style baking to your café?
Would you love your café to be known for its baking?
Our comprehensive 6-month Make Me a Baker program will give you the know-how and confidence to bring home-style baking to your café. Learn all the tricks you need to bake your own artisan-style goods allowing you to stop out-sourcing mediocre baked goods and create your own style of baking. Become known for your baking and turn your customers into loyal followers and your café into the local place to go!
- Get the inspiration and know-how to bring home-style baking to your café.
- Stop outsourcing your baked offerings and gain the confidence to create your own artisan-style goods.
- Ensure your customers love your café's baking and become raving fans!
Do you have a passion for baking and love the creative outlet it allows you?
Have you recently retired or are you looking for something completely different to your day job?
Are you ready to do something for 'you'?
Allow yourself to be immersed in all things baking with our 6-month Make Me a Baker program. You will discover new baking skills and unmatched confidence while being surrounded by like-minded people who all love baking as much as you do!
Make Me a Baker will give you the creative outlet you've been looking for and enable you to fill your spare time with something truly enriching. Not only will you feed your own creativity, but you will share your new skills and confidence with those closest to you too – trust us, your friends and family will love you for it!
- Make Me a Baker is suitable for all baking levels: from beginner to experienced.
- You will master all aspects of baking: from the absolute basics right through to advanced techniques.
- Allow yourself to do something completely different from your day job (and be just as good at it!).
- Be praised and loved for your baking!
What do I get?
- Anneka Manning's extensive knowledge and her fail-safe, tried-and-tested recipes, plus the use of fantastic high-quality products, equipment and appliances courtesy of our valued partners
- Use of the state-of-the-art kitchen in hands-on sessions at Flash in the Pan Studio in Rosebery, in an intimate group of just 12
- Lifetime membership to the Make Me a Baker exclusive online forum, which is only open to students of the program
- 40% off KitchenAid appliances*
- 15% discount on all BakeClub's Discovery Masterclasses, hands-on Workshops and online courses
- A selection of vanilla ingredients and cake decorating products from Queen
- A copy of Anneka's latest book BakeClass
- A Make Me a Baker apron
- Special discounts for selected baking products and services
- Recipe and information kits for every hands-on session
- Take-home boxes at the end of each session with all the goodies you make
- A very special graduation event to show off your new skills to your family and friends while celebrating everything you have learnt with your fellow bakers
*voucher valid for 40% off RRP in a single transaction from www.kitchenaid.com.au